Vehicle manufacturer Toyota decided to establish a French site in Valenciennes at the dawn of the 2000s. Oxford Automotive, which designed and manufactured various mechanisms (door hinges, etc.) in France, approached Toyota. Emmanuelle Guillerot, who speaks fluent English and has a wealth of experience with foreign customers, was appointed key account manager. The goal was to win requests for proposals with Toyota and become a supplier to the French plant.
- Accompanied numerous groups of Toyota engineers and buyers on visits to the group’s various sites, explaining the organisational structure and processes in English;
- won requests for proposals;
- analysed technical requirements – plans, specifications, and price and quality targets;
- monitored adjustments to bring products into line with the company’s manufacturing processes;
- managed the technical and project teams;
- conducted sales negotiations;
- and launched the prototyping, validation and standard manufacturing phases.
Oxford Automotive exceeded its initial objective, becoming a supplier to Toyota’s French plant for the Yaris and subsequently to its UK plant for the Corolla and its Turkish plant for the Avensis. Furthermore, working closely with Toyota’s technical staff, Oxford was able to successfully trial the Toyota Manufacturing System (based on cellular versus product line manufacturing). In 2015, the Essôme-sur-Marne plant, now owned by Defta, is still producing Toyota door hinges!